Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

September 18th, 1936

  Today was my first day of school. First day of school happens only once in my life, so I wished it would become a great memory, but unfortunately, it was not. I could say it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me during my whole six years of life that I have been living. What Miss Caroline has done to me was a big shock. Thinking of Atticus, if it were him, he wouldn’t have done such thing as whipping a grade one kid on the first day of school. Did she think it was a right thing to do? Jem told me that it is a new teaching technique of hers, but when she scolded me and gave me shame for being able to read, it hurt me. I could not and cannot understand her. How would my dad and Jem react when they hear that I have been whipped and scolded for being able to read? I wish Atticus would do something with my teacher since he is a lawyer. But……. Can he? Will he? I don’t think so….. I think probably, he will tell me to be patient and try to understand her since I am a student of hers and he can’t do anything with it. Atticus never scolded me or hit me. He always tried to solve my problems by talking, not shouting at me or physically punishing me. The worst part is that I don’t know what I have done wrong. I would accept what I have received if I have been disciplined for the right thing, but……… I can never accept what she has done. Never. I have always longed to go to school, but now, I am afraid to go to school. I hope tomorrow wouldn’t come.

No comments:

Post a Comment