Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

August 14th, 1938

  Trial is over. Jem, Dill, and I watched the trial together. Tom is convicted guilty. I really cannot believe it. This is very disappointing, shocking, and sad. How can people trust Ewell’s words but not Tom’s? I don’t understand. Jem looked a lot shocked, more than me. I think he is crushed. This is the same reaction as when the knot-hole was filled, but a little worse. Maybe he doesn’t want to be a lawyer anymore, since what he thought as justice is crushed. I hope he doesn’t give up. I have always thought that Jem would be a pretty good lawyer, since he is the son of Atticus.
I feel sorry for Tom Robinson’s family. Now, Mrs. Robinson needs to raise her family by herself, since Tom is in jail and her kids also almost need to live without their father. I myself is raised without mother, but I have Calpurnia, who fills the emptiness of mother, and Atticus is a great father. I hope Mrs. Robinson is a good mother.
Anyways, I once again thought that Mrs. Crawford is really mean. She was once again gossiping and tried to ask me and Jem about the trial, even though I am quite sure that she knows we’re depressed about it. Fortunately, we were saved by Miss Maudie, who invited us for cake at the right time. This is one of the numerous reasons why I like Miss Maudie. Jem complained to her about the trial, but she told us that we have achieved something from the trial. I was confused, but I think I kind of understood. I hope Jem understood it, so he can get out of his depressed mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment