Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

September 21st, 1938

School has begun. As usual, Jem and I pass by the Radley place, but I am not afraid anymore. I guess I got older, old enough not to be frightened by Boo. I am not afraid anymore, but I still want to see his face, just once.
I have almost forgotten about the trial, but when I got back to the school, it still bothered me. Miss Gates, my teacher, thought us about equality and democracy while talking about Hitler, but she was the one who said that it’s about time for blacks to get a lesson, after the trial. I am pretty sure that she thought Tom Robinson was guilty. I was confused and mad about her two sided opinions, so I asked Jem. His reaction was weird. Actually, it was surprising and shocking more than weird. I think I didn’t say anything to provoke him that much, but he got so furious and shouted at me not to talk about the trial ever again. I was even more confused. I wondered if he is upset about what Miss Gates said of about the trial. Maybe it’s because I held out the topic, the trial, while he was trying to forget about it. Anyways, I was so upset and too surprised that my tears wouldn’t even some out, so I closed the door quietly and went to Atticus. I tried to get in his lap, but I was too big now, which made me sad, because it is a sign of growing up. I might be acting like Jem if I grow up, and I will never be able to sit in Atticus’s lap as I did today.
Atticus told me that he heard me and Jem, especially Jem shouting. He said Jem is trying to forget about something, trying not to think about it, and he would be back to his normal self when enough time passes by. I was glad to hear that Jem would feel better when enough time passes by, but I wondered how long that time would be. I hope that time isn’t too long, because I want old Jem back.

No comments:

Post a Comment