Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

October 31st, 1938

I can’t believe what just happened to Jem and Me today. Today was Halloween, and there was a pageant event at the school, so Jem went to the school with me. On our way home, we heard something behind us. At first, we thought it was Cecil Jacobs since he surprised us on our way to school. But when we called for him, we heard no answer. It was actually Bob Ewell trying to attack us. I think he stabbed me but I survived because of the costume. He went to Jem and attacked him. I was so scared. Someone came, saved Jem, and brought Jem back to our house. I didn’t realize it was Boo Radley who saved us until I saw his face straight. My wish came true. I finally got to see Boo’s face.
He looked like a ghost, but he was a human. He was a real nice guy. I felt sorry for the times when me, Dill and Jem bothered him. I am glad that I finally got to meet Boo. Atticus once told me that you never really know a man until you walk in his shoes. I think he is right. I got to know that Boo is a poor man, who is too nice and too shy. When I walked Boo home, I imagined the world from his perspective, in his porch. It felt strange. I was able to see the whole town. I wondered if Boo lived in the house, feeling happy that he can watch happy people.
I went back home and told Atticus that Boo is a real nice guy, when I got to know him, and that all those stuff about Boo is not true. He said, “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.” I remember what he said, word to word. I was glad that I finally got to see Boo.
Atticus went into Jem’s room. I know that Atticus will stay there the whole night, until Jem wakes up in the morning. I am so worried about Jem. I feel guilty because he got attacked to protect me. I regret hating Jem for few weeks recently. I love him so much.
Bob Ewell is dead. He fell on his own knife. I know that Boo killed him, but I won’t tell anyone about that. I don’t want anyone bothering him, and I’m glad that Heck Tate thought the same. I feel a bit sorry for Bob Ewell, but not much. He was a mean man. It is rude to say these things after one’s death. I know. But I’m not totally sad for his death. If he was alive this time, he probably would have attacked Atticus next.
By the way, I thank my ham suit so much. I was so close to death which scares me so much, but ham suit save me.

1 comment: