Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

July 7th, 1938

     Summer arrived and Jem is now acting as if he is all grown up man. I really don’t like that. Now I am so lonely, since Jem doesn’t want to play with anymore which made me long for Dill. However, Dill did not appear. This upset me very much. I have been waiting for Dill the whole year. He wrote in the letter that he had a new father so he has to stay in Meredian, but not to worry since he is going to marry him. I was kind of glad to hear that, but still, I had nothing left to do, and it was such a boring day after day. Even Atticus has left Jem and I for the emergency session. As a result, we had nothing to do on Sunday, which made Calpurnia to take us to her church, the black church. To be honest, I was excited but also a bit afraid of going to the black church. Calpurnia washed me so rough and made me wear girlish clothes which I was very uncomfortable with. I was surprised when Calpurnia talked strangely, I mean like a black person. I was a bit questioned, but I just thought it’s a black church, so she talks black way. I was scared when a black woman talked fiercely to Calpurnia about bringing me and Jem to the church.  I thought we should go back, and Jem thought so too, but I realized that others didn’t mind about us being in the black church. I was happy to hear that they are glad that Jem and I are here. To be honest, the church looked poor, unpainted, they didn’t even have hymnals. However, I liked this church better than my church. This church felt more like a community, more close to each other, helping others who need help. At the service for Tom Robinson’s wife, I found out that Tom Robinson was accused by Bob Ewell. I was totally surprised when I heard this. I thought Bob Ewell is a mean man whom no one believes or trusts, but I guess people trust Bob Ewell more than a black man which is hard for me to understand.
When Jem and I went back to home, Aunt Alexandra was waiting for us. We were greeted with the news that Aunt Alexandra would be staying with us. I doubted my ears when I heard this. She said that she is staying with us to give us a “feminine influence.” I am so worried about the days living with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment