Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

July 24th, 1938

As I have expected, living with Aunt Alexandra was very, very painful. I don’t understand why the Maycomb people are so nice to her. First of all, she made numerous lectures that I should wear dress, behave like a woman, and things more like that, which made me very, very annoyed. I accept that I am a girl. But I don’t think that I should behave as what she tells me to, since I am only eight years old. I have plenty of time to enjoy myself, playing with Jem and Dill. I don’t understand why Aunt Alexandra is telling me to do such things even when my father, Atticus, doesn’t say anything about me wearing pants. Secondly, she cares about the family so deeply that she would not stop talking about the Finches and keep telling me that I should be proud about being the Finches. I guess this is why she is telling me to behave like a woman, to stop me from degrading the family’s pride. I heard her arguing with Atticus about the way he is parenting Jem and I. She also said something about getting rid of Calpurnia. When she brought out Calpurnia, I got so mad at her. Jem knew that I was mad at Aunt Alexandra, and started lecturing me, telling me that I should not antagonize her. I got so mad at him when I realized that I was being lectured. I know that Atticus didn’t want me to fight, but I couldn’t bear his arrogance anymore, so I beat him up. I felt a bit guilty because of Atticus, but I have been waiting for this moment since Jem started acting like all grown-up. This moment didn’t go for so long because Atticus came to break the fight. He sent me and Jem to bed. When I went to bed, I found something under my bed, which was DILL!! I was so happy that he was here, but I couldn’t be all so happy, because Dill has ran away from his house when his mother and new father didn’t pay enough attention to him. I felt very sorry for him. I thought his new father was a nice guy like Atticus (but certainly less nice than Atticus, since there are no fathers in the world as nice as Atticus), but I guess he wasn’t. Jem went down and told Atticus, which was very, very shocking. He broke the code. Dill and I was so disappointed in him. Anyways, I got some food for Dill as Atticus told me. After he finished the dishes, he went to bed with Jem. I also fell asleep, but after a while, Dill came into my bed. We talked a while about his father, and then Dill suddenly suggested having a baby. I guess he said that incautiously and sleepily, but I was a bit happy when he said that. I wanted to get married to him as soon as possible. I wonder if there are other boys like Dill in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment