Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

August 26th, 1938

Today, I heard shocking news. I was having tea with “ladies”, because Aunt Alexandra told me to. She also made me to wear a dress. I did wear a dress, but I wore my trouser underneath it. My trousers made me so much better. Without it, it is so uncomfortable. But today, trousers didn’t help me that much. Drinking tea and sitting together with those “ladies” was a painful thing to do. I needed to pretend like a woman, listening to those women talking about extremely boring stuff. They also talked about black people, mean things about them, that almost made me get off of the seat. Miss Maudie, in the right timing as usual, stopped them. I think she kind of made them embarrassed.
In the middle of those conversations, Atticus came in and called Aunty, Miss Maudie, and me. He told us that Tom Robinson was shot seventeen times while he was trying to escape. I was shocked and sad. Now Tom isn’t even alive. I didn’t even feel uncomfortable when I got back to the seat. I was just numb with the sadness. I saw Aunt Alexandra getting back to the tea, and acting as if nothing happened. I also tried acting as if nothing happened. I was a bit disgusted with myself. But if Aunty can be a lady at a time like this, so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment